Modern Ruins is a luxurious large-format art book containing hundreds of photographs by acclaimed London-based photographer Robin Hudson.
Part of the urban-exploration (a.k.a. 'urbex') community, Robin travels to remote locations – sanatoriums, hilltop villas, monasteries, hotel hideaways, vineyard farmhouses, decommissioned factories – to document magnificent or historically significant architecture from the recent past that has fallen into decline and sits abandoned awaiting demolition... or possibly renovation.
Some of the locations in Modern Ruins have collapsed since being photographed so their memory lives on in this collection. Let your imagination roam as you mingle with the ghosts inhabiting these elegiac, time-forgotten spaces.
Want to sample Modern Ruins before you pre-order? Download the free digital sampler.
Note about 'cover roulette':
Collectors of Modern Ruins will receive, at random, one of three cover variants. Each cover image is accompanied by a unique-coloured pastel Surbalin covering in three-quarter binding (spine & reverse).
The urban exploration that Robin does contains an essential element of surprise that we want to bake into the unboxing of this volume. ‘Cover roulette’, you might call it. An opportunity to embrace uncertainty. Each carton of Modern Ruins arriving at our warehouse will be a shuffled deck.
Which cover variant will greet you when your copy arrives?
Fate will decide.
- 13" x 11" inches (32 x 27cm)
- 324 full-colour pages plus intermission gatefold spread
- Typeset in Galliard with Saol as display
- Three-quarter bound hardcover in Geltex Seda (unique pastel shade with each of our three cover variants)
- Flat spine blind-blocked with ‘elegant decline’ weathered texture
- Printed on high-bulk uncoated 140gsm Arena White Rough Italian design paper
- Dust jacket screen-printed in matte white on 170gsm
- Polyedra Satin translucent stock